Thursday, June 2, 2011

Changing rear Rotors and pads. Will I have to change/remove bearings???

I have a 2000 firebird (v6) warped rear disc brakes. Also, how important is it to bleed the brakes. On my 90's camaro I never bled them and never had a problem. Please help me out.Changing rear Rotors and pads. Will I have to change/remove bearings???no the rotors should come right off. if you don't open up the hydraulic part of the brake system you shouldn't have to bleed them.Changing rear Rotors and pads. Will I have to change/remove bearings???Damn!! I should know this answer, I learned it in class today. My guess is since your replacing the pads and rotors you might as well replace the bearings, I think you have to replace the bearings every 30,000 miles.Changing rear Rotors and pads. Will I have to change/remove bearings???normally, I clean them and inspect them .any, I say any ,mark I replace them ,otherwise they are good. re grease them(repack) and install them.Changing rear Rotors and pads. Will I have to change/remove bearings???no, no bearing removal is required, but check for lateral movement, and as far a brakes go no bleeding is not required unless you breach the system,Changing rear Rotors and pads. Will I have to change/remove bearings???once you get the brake calipers off the rotors will come right off, you won't have to remove any bearings. The brake fluid should by all rights be flushed out every couple of years as moisture gets into the brake system and can cause havock with the ABS system.Changing rear Rotors and pads. Will I have to change/remove bearings???basically speaking.. u should not have to replace the bearing on a rear disc brake assembly, it depends on if u have a top hat design or integral design.. if u have top hat then u just pull off the rotor and replace the rotor and put on the caliper and wheel and such.. also.. bleeding your brakes is very important because your brakes absorb water because they are hygroscopic.Changing rear Rotors and pads. Will I have to change/remove bearings???no...you will not need to change wheel bearings....although if you are going to have the rotors off anyway, you may want to. your brakes should not have to be bled after replacing rotors and pads.Changing rear Rotors and pads. Will I have to change/remove bearings???You will have to remove the bearing to get the rotor off.Pack the bearing with grease before you put them back.You shouldnt have to bleed the brakes.Changing rear Rotors and pads. Will I have to change/remove bearings???on gm the bearing is seperate from the disc.just change the pads and rotors,like you would do on the front.Changing rear Rotors and pads. Will I have to change/remove bearings???No. you don't need to replace them. The bearing almost never goes bad and usually last the lifetime of your car. Replace it if you hear noise from it, like it is not lubricated. Bled the brake only if you remove the tube that goes to the wheel and you lost some oil (on the floor). Usually, to replace a brake, do not unscrew the oil pipe. Before you remove the rotor, insert a crew driver between the pads and push the piston inside the caliper. The pads came loose and with enough space to insert a new ones.Changing rear Rotors and pads. Will I have to change/remove bearings???A fire bird is rear wheel drive, so you would have to take apart the rearend and remove the axels to replace the bearings. So, you just need to leave that alone. The brakes are pretty straight forward. Pull off the rotors and slide new ones on. rear calipers usually need to be turned in, not pushed in like front calipers. look at your piston face ( the part that pushes on the pad) You should see 2 to 4 indents on the outer edge. these are engaged by a special tool used to turn them in. I've used channel locks as a last resort. Be careful not to rip the boots. You can probably rent a rear piston pusher at autozone. If you dont open the brake line you will not need to bleed them, but it is a good idea to bleed out the old fluid once in awhile to keep it fresh because it does absorb moisture from the air.